Canada-based Entrepreneur Scales to 15 Sites, 30 Remote Workers


Ronnie Teja immigrated to Vancouver, Canada in 2008. He was 22. Fast-forward to 2020, and he owns and operates a thriving ecommerce firm that sells watches and related accessories across 15 sites, such as Branzio.com. His group consists of 30 employees in a dozen states.

I recently spoke with him about launching his firm, acquiring sites, and the challenges of managing it remotely. What follows is our whole audio conversation and a transcript, edited for clarity and length.

Alright, see our products:

  1. Magento 2 pos extension
  2. Pos for woocommerce
  3. Pos for shopify
  4. Pos for bigcommerce
  5. MSI management

Eric Bandholz: Tell us about your business.

Ronnie Teja: I run about 15 websites. We do mid-eight amounts in earnings. The principal product that we sell is men's watches. We sell them in 50-plus nations right now. The idea is to climb to approximately 120 countries at the end of the year. I'm Canadian. I travel the world and have a group of approximately 30 employees.

Bandholz: I can not imagine 15 distinct websites. Are they on the same platform?

Teja: No. Some are on Shopify. Some are Magento. Some are BigCommerce.

Bandholz: Can you acquire them?

Teja: Yes.

Bandholz: I interviewed last year Shakil Prasla, with Guru Click Ventures. He has a similar business model where he acquires ecommerce companies. How do you find candidates to get?

Teja: A few of them approach us. Others I will find from Googling. I could acquire a content website which ranks highly for watch terms or see reviews. I'll begin a dialog via an email to determine if there is a chance for us to work together. Sometimes I will look at a successful competitor and try to follow its own model. If I can not replicate it, I might acquire try to get the company.

Bandholz: so that you concentrate primarily on watches and accessories.

Teja: Yes. There are a great deal of accessories, like straps and software. I ended up acquiring a Website in South Africa. That nation is a goldmine for ecommerce. I don't understand why more people aren't investing there. An acquisition in the U.S. for $20 or $30 is about $2 in South Africa. And the margins are much better. We bought a site there for $50,000 that would have cost $300,000 from the U.S.

Bandholz: Have you got other business partners?

Teja: No. I am the sole owner and operator.

Bandholz: How can you cope with the self-doubt or the depression that comes together when things are going flat? I get those dark days all of the time.

Teja: Everyone has those days. Reading helps me. Or calling a friend.

Bandholz: Do you have a family?

Teja: I have my girlfriend. I have been with her for four decades. My parents reside in Vancouver. We immigrated there when I was about 22 -- about 12 years back. So coming to Canada was beginning life from scratch.

Bandholz: That is cool. Where did you move from?

Teja: Mumbai, India, a town of approximately 22 million people.

Bandholz: How can you, as an immigrant, arrive in Canada, and build a successful business?

Teja: My mom applied [for immigration] since we had family in Vancouver. In 2005, I was working on my master's degree. I received a call from my parents saying,"We have a golden ticket." It was our chance to immigrate into the U.S. or Canada, or Australia, the U.K. --where. It's a opportunity to move to a first-world nation with an honest system and small red tape in contrast to India.

When we landed in Vancouver I had to earn money. So I started working for a small radio station, selling advertisements. In 2015, I said to myself, "Wait a second. I have been working for all these people, making them a lot of cash." That's when I began my own company.

Bandholz: So you selected watches and discovered a vendor?

Teja: I had done some digital-marketing contract work for MVMT Watches. And then I choose to create and market watches directly. I failed in the beginning. I nearly ran out of cash because I attempted to supply from Vancouver, hire a designer in Vancouver -- everything in Vancouver. I did about six months of work in Vancouver to make a watch, and then I found somebody in Vancouver, who I had never met, had a Kickstarter effort with the same logo as the watches I'd just made. I didn't know that individual. He had already raised $150,000 on Kickstarter.

So it is back to the drawing board. I purchased a ticket from Vancouver to Hong Kong to attend the gigantic watch fair there. I expected to meet providers, obtain credit together, and finalize a layout -- all within three months. And that is what happened, versus doing it all in Vancouver.

Related posts

https://www.connectpos.com/what-is-on-premise/

https://www.connectpos.com/top-5-shopify-wholesale-apps/

https://www.connectpos.com/what-is-scaling-in-business/

https://www.connectpos.com/top-6-shopify-retail-apps/

https://www.connectpos.com/top-5-cloud-based-pos-systems-you-should-know/

https://www.connectpos.com/top-7-content-management-system-you-should-consider/

https://www.connectpos.com/6-pos-optimization-tips-for-your-busine/

Bandholz: You have now acquired companies. You've got 30 team members in various locations.

Teja: That is correct. It is exciting to work with 30 team members, to be alert in these different time zones. I enjoy making my own program. It is not 9 a.m. to five pm I will work at night, in the morning, in the gym, whenever.

I have just started implemented EOS [Entrepreneurial Operating System] or a version of it. I have managed to step back from all during the past 30 days. I recently went on a holiday to the Komodo Islands [in Indonesia]. I had not taken time off for more than five decades.

It is fascinating how different groups interact. We have decided to close down our Vancouver office, laying off the workers there. They were nice folks, but sadly not in our long term eyesight. We're going through the process of determining who identifies with our core values and building a team around that.

Bandholz: So, EOS is a blueprint for running a company.

Teja: Yes. I recommend"Get a Grip," a publication that explains it. There are lots of similar books.

Bandholz: Let us address your team. You've got 30 people. How many unique cities are they found?

Teja: The development group is on Eastern Time in South America. Customer support is in 10 different countries, such as Nicaragua, Colombia, Serbia, Montenegro, Philippines, and India. We have got a couple of people in the U.K. And I am in Canada.

All employees communicate with one another. We've got a single Slack station where everyone can chat. I have recently started weekly movie updates for my group.

The thing that I've done wrong in the past five years is offering salary bonuses to inspire. It certainly did not do that. It's not the thing to do. A far better motivational tool is a personalized gift or a letter, or maybe a wonderful postcard from a trip. We offer bonuses, but only to employees who share our values.

Twenty to thirty percent of our bonus structure is on the operation of the corporation. However, another 70 to 80 percent is focused on the employee, based upon the key performance indicators of the department. By way of instance, KPIs for the client support team include customer testimonials, missed call prices, customer dissatisfaction prices. So business revenue plays a role, but not as much as the KPIs for the person.

More also:

https://www.connectpos.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-woocommerce/

https://www.connectpos.com/quick-magento-tutorial-for-beginners/

https://www.connectpos.com/what-you-need-in-a-point-of-sale/

https://www.connectpos.com/what-is-retail-burnout-and-how-to-beat-it/

https://www.connectpos.com/top-5-magento-retail-extensions/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Payments, Payment Rails and Blockchains and the Metaverse

The Metaverse and the Potential of Blockchain

How to draw attention to your online store in a crowd-sourced marketplace 7 Ways to Stand Out Among the Sea of Competing Products